Treescooter (Part 2/2)

I meant to update part 2 forever ago…but here it is now!

Last time I finished rambling about the deck and the fork. After that I started working on the folding and locking mechanism:

First I wanted to give the base of the handlebars more material so that I could make a fairly beefy pivot joint for the folding mechanism. I could have found a big block, drilled a hole in it the diameter of the handlebar, and then glued it in. But I didn’t have a big block, so instead I chose to glue lots of smaller bits to the base to build into a block. In order to have flat surfaces to attach small blocks to, I started by cutting the base of the handle at an angle.

handle bars with the base angled

closeup of angle

gluing on the first two blocks

lots of extra material needs to be trimmed off

after trimming the first two blocks, gluing on two more, and then trimming those

here you can see all the blocks pieced together (minus the fourth one which went on top to build up the thickness more)

rounded, with the pivot hole drilled

Next I wanted to make a mechanism that would securely clamp this pivot to the front fork. I really wanted to use a bike quick-release mechanism, but I didn’t have the right tap, and couldn’t think of an easy way to do it. So this is what I came up with:

First, a bracket that goes on the front of the fork:

clamp bracket

I found the curve of the front of the fork by shaping a popsicle stick, and then tracing the popsicle stick onto some 3/8″ Al plate.

This bracket receives two threaded rods that go through the front fork. On the other side there is a latch that clamps to the back of the handle bar pivot.

(almost) full clamp mechanism (missing a lock nut in the top left corner)

clamp and carefully drill two holes for the threaded rods

the latch on the back of the pivot (the scooter is in the unfolded configuration)

unfolded, finished mechanism

folded

yes, these pictures are taken in a bathroom.

About this time I took it all apart and applied two coats of polyurethane. I used spray on, high gloss, which resulted in kind of an orange peel texture. But the bark isn’t smooth anyway, and its something that I will step on with shoes, so its probably better to not have a perfect gloss surface.

finishing

Finally, I made a latch to keep the scooter folded. It makes it much easier to carry around.

latch to keep the scooter folded

lots of guessing and checking resulted in this cardboard template

drill a big hole. This is probably the wrong way to use this bit. A hole saw would probably also work great, but you definitely have to stop a lot or the plastic will melt.

a big hole, 3/8″ polycarb. Some pilot holes to help cut the corner radii

some bandsawing, filling, and a lot of dremeling later…

Soon I’ll post a video of my neighbor riding it (because I have no balance, and he does…).

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s