My orange ripstop wallet has served me well for two years. However, the elastic was getting too worn out. So I decided it was time to try a new design, this time using velcro instead of elastic. I guess time will tell how this new one holds up
The new wallet started out almost identically to the orange one, except I left some extra material on one end to form a velcro tab. I also made the panels a little wider so the finished wallet would be taller. My previous wallet exposed the tops of my cards a little too much.
When the wallet is finished, the stitches that connects the middle layer to the inner/outer layer actually sits on the inside of the wallet. In the orange one, they were on the outside, which made them more vulnerable to wear. Hopefully these stitches here stay stronger longer.
The tiny bar tack stitch at the top of the pocket divisions isn’t really necessary (the old one did fine without them). But I think they look like a cleaner way to end the stitch then with a few back and forth straight stitches. (if people have other suggestions for clean ways to end stitches, do share!)